Back in June I shared 10 Reasons Why I’m a Feminist. (Although the url says 29, and it’s too late to fix that).
I’ve had an incredibly busy week, and I didn’t have time to write my intended post for today. So instead, here are 5 more reasons why I’m a feminist!
Why I’m a Feminist
- Based on a very representative sample of Americans (my Facebook friends), people feel more anger at Colin Kaepernick for quietly sitting during the national anthem than they feel at the senseless deaths of Keith Lamont Scott and Terence Crutcher. I guess protesting unnecessary violence against black people is way worse than actually committing unnecessary violence against black people.
- Convicted child molester Joseph Presley received a suspended sentence of only 30 days in a local jail. The prosecuting attorney recommended 7-8 years. This is rape culture.
- It’s 2016, and the powers-that-be can’t stop regulating women’s clothing.
- The cringe-worthy sexist commentary worldwide of the 2016 Rio Olympics.
- No matter how nicely I have asked in the last several years, several men in my life REFUSE to stop using gendered slurs in my presence. In fact, all of them acted incredibly insulted that I pointed out their use of misogynistic language. I’m generalizing here, but the reaction was basically, “I’ll say whatever the fuck I want. Fuck bitches.” Basically, I can’t wait to have a kid one day and then tell these dudes (who will definitely want to see any hypothetical kid of mine and Dan’s) that they can’t have any unsupervised time with my children. You really shouldn’t be okay with using gendered slurs period. This is especially true if you claim to respect women. This is even more true when a feminist you supposedly love has repeatedly mentioned her discomfort with your choice of language. Choices have consequences!
I could probably list so many more reasons why I’m a feminist, but I’m tired. It’s been a long week.
Are you a feminist? Why or why not?