What is a blog link-up?
My blogging friends probably already know this, but most of my readers are not bloggers themselves.
If you ever read the italicized portion at the bottom of my blog posts, I sometimes say, “Linking up with So&So for Such&Such!” Those are blog link-ups.
One or more bloggers will “host” a blog link-up on their own blogs. I then visit one host’s blog, read over the rules to make sure I’m following them properly, and submit 1-3 links to my own blog posts. Some blog link-ups are for home pages, so you would only submit your home page link. Others are also for social media accounts, so you might submit your Twitter link or your Instagram link. Y’all should totally follow me, by the way.
Blog link-ups can be weekly, monthly, or even just a one-time event. Sometimes they are topical, like only for fashion posts or DIY posts. Others can be anything. My favorite monthly blog link-ups almost all have prompts!
The benefits of joining monthly blog link-ups
While I certainly participate in weekly blog link-ups, my favorite link-ups are only once a month. Why?
- With a weekly link-up, hosts usually don’t have time to visit every single link submitted. With a monthly link-up, even if it takes them a few weeks, they are more likely to visit each participant’s blog.
- When everyone writes on the same general theme, or creates a blog based on the same prompt, this inspires more interaction. I love seeing how other bloggers interpreted a prompt. My blog posts for monthly blog link-ups usually garner really good comments. They might not have the highest quantity of comments, but the comments left tend to be high quality.
- Find new blogs to read! If you’re linking up for a pretty specific topic, odds are good that you and the other bloggers linking up write about that topic more than once a month. I’ve found great blogs on feminism with The F-Word and great blogs on marriage with Marriage & Relationship Goals.
- Gain new followers! Just like you find new blogs on your favorite subjects, your blog is probably the favorite subject of other bloggers.
- Monthly blog link-ups help me balance out my editorial calendar. Sometimes I need a little inspiration to write something other than feminism or marriage. Joining monthly blog link-ups, particularly the ones with prompts, encourages me to expand my writing.
How to find monthly blog link-ups
While some of these link-ups I have joined for months, a few of them are pretty new to me! How did I find them? Some were suggested to me by blogger friends. Others I found just by searching for blog link-ups.
Many bloggers put together pretty impressive lists of blog link-ups, like this one at Treasure Tromp or this one at My Joy-Filled Life. I’ve also joined a Facebook Group dedicated to blog link-ups, monthly or otherwise.
Yes, it can be time-consuming to comb through all the lists to find monthly blog link-ups relevant to your blogging niche. I recommend starting just by asking your blogging friends for their monthly blog link-up suggestions. Or you can check out my list below!
My monthly blog link-ups
I am listing these in chronological order to make it easiest to navigate.
First day of the month
Autumn hosts a monthly goals link-up called Monthly Gold. Link up any post on setting goals!
The Travel Link-Up, hosted by Emma, Rebecca, and Kelly. Each month they offer a different prompt related to travel. I do not link up every month, but it’s always fun to see what travel bloggers are writing!
First two weeks
I loved this link-up, so I’m really sad this one has ended. You can read my monthly goals, which include marriage goals, at the button.
The F-Word, hosted by Kelly and Kiersten. Each month they host a link-up on feminism with an optional topic. I try to write a specific blog post for them, based on the topic, but sometimes I end up linking up with a previous feminist post.
I took over The F-Word, and I recently decided to end the link-up. You can still read all my old posts.
Flourish, hosted by Brittany. I haven’t actually joined this one yet, but I like the idea of it. Basically, you list out 10 things for which you’re grateful, how you’re flourishing, and monthly reflections.
This link-up is no longer live, but you can access the archives at the button.
The Circle, hosted by Kiki and a different monthly guest host. I’ve done this almost every month since September 2014! Kiki provides great prompts, and I tend to put my own unique spin on them.
Last Thursday (two!)
The Guys Behind the Blog, hosted by Betsy. This is a new link-up, aimed at female bloggers in heterosexual relationships. So, yeah, it’s a little limiting in scope, but as a female blogger in a heterosexual marriage, I enjoy it. Betsy comes up with questions each month for bloggers to ask their male SOs.
Thankful Thursday, hosted by Charlene and a different monthly guest host. I’ve only done this once so far, but I think it’s a great idea! It’s so important to focus on gratitude year-round, not just at Thanksgiving.
Coffee Date, hosted by Jenna and a different monthly guest host. This doesn’t have much of a theme or a prompt. You can link up almost anything, but the idea is to link up a post that glimpses into your life, not a recipe or DIY.
Last day of the month
Autumn hosts a monthly gratitude link-up called Keeping the Good. She shares her daily gratitude journal, but you can share any post that reflects on the good things in your life that month.
What are YOUR favorite monthly blog link-ups? Leave me a comment!
If you’re looking for monthly inspiration, for bloggers and non-bloggers alike, sign up for my monthly newsletter! life.love.latitude includes sneak peeks at Belle Brita plus actionable steps to improve your life, relationships, and community!